GED/High School Diploma
One of our top goals at Oconaluftee Job Corps CCC is to ensure that every qualified student obtains his or her GED/high school diploma prior to leaving the center. Students who don't already have a high school diploma upon their arrival at Oconaluftee are automatically enrolled in our GED program. Students who complete this program's core classes may participate in an online high school diploma program which is paid for by the center.
Tutors and academic support
Tutoring programs are available where students are tutored in math, reading, social studies, and writing by instructors or by fellow students (Peer Student Tutors). Students interested in getting into a tutoring program may contact their instructors or the Academic Manager.
The College Program is an advanced training program we offer through a partnership with Southwestern Community College. To qualify for this program, a student must have a high school diploma or GED (from our center or another educational facility) and have successfully completed a vocational trade at Job Corps.
Benefits of the College Program include:
- academic advisement, mentoring, and tutoring
- paid tuition, fees, books, and supplies
- housing and recreation
- meals provided by Job Corps, on-and-off center
- transportation to and from college of choice
Driver's Education is available to all students needing their driver's license.
English Language Learning
Students needing to learn English can enter our English Language Learning (ELL) program. Students in the ELL program are tested regularly to determine their language proficiency levels.
Career counselors work with students in several areas:
- Advanced training
- Advice on trade change requests
- Career training
- College information and enrollment
- Equal employment opportunity (EEO) issues
- Evaluations of student progress and advice on how to improve grades
- Leave requests
- Referrals for Armed Forces recruitment